Sunday, December 18, 2011

HOLIDAY!

What a week! It's as if the linear hours of the last week before the holiday crammed the days into the space of a pinhead, and just as suddenly as a vaccination shot, it's all over. Winter break begins!

The play was a great success, in spite of the fact that the elf and Rudolph dropped out, Rudolph due to illness and the elf due to intense last-minute stage fright. Luckily the two lead roles, that of Mrs. Claus (and Clause the designer) and Mr. Claus were in great form. They were brilliant, soliciting lots of laughs and cheers from the crowd, as expected. I was nervous too, and crunched back a half-pack of Halls before starting out in front of the curtains to narrate the show along. Another cold coming on. I was just sick a month ago, but I suppose this is the life of a new teacher exposed to kids who reluctantly wash their hands when they are asked to before they consume their recess and lunchtime meals.

After the play there was a potluck dinner. It is a very unique experience to be surrounded by the majority of the community all in one place. Most of the faces were familiar, and I was surprised at just how many young families there are living in the area; there are about 10 kids all under five years old, plenty of reason to keep the school up and running, I hope. The discussion of school closure (the policy states that eight kids is the minimum enrolment to keep it open) will begin in the new year, and the turnout at the play and dinner showed just how much support the community gives to the school.

I spent Thursday at home to rest before the break, as I am now headed to Sri Lanka on the marathon 30-hour travel to get there, which started at 4:30 am this morning. Certainly not something to be sick for. Feeling better though, thank goodness, so I can relax and actually enjoy the time off in the sun.

The mouse has been back in my house on numerous nights, and each time it leaves little islands of droppings across the counter I have found another entry hole under the sink to fill in with tin foil. At one point I even thought that I might have trapped it inside the house, as it seemed to have chewed some of the foil from inside the house! I have some friends visiting my place over the holidays, and they are going to bring a mouse trap. Sorry little guy. You give me no choice but to exterminate you by remote request.

Cinnamon Crunch's days seem less limited, as he has been checked on a couple times by people in the community. From the pictures sent to me after the last visit he looks downright FAT, exactly as a bear should look before going into winter hibernation. Apparently it looks as though he is trying to burrow into the bank near his carcass stash, but the snow is yet to be thick enough to permit it. He has been using branches to cover some of his food, and supposedly he has even fended off a pack of wolves from encroaching upon his cache. Go Cinnamon! This is a great sign, as it means he is getting comfortable and territorial over his human-selected home and will be less likely to wander back to town. Fingers crossed.

Here is a little review of his summer in Gold Bridge, thanks to Mike Jensen, who has sent me some absolutely phenomenal pictures of our little friend.

Photo by Mike Jensen
Here's a picture of his Mom wandering in the area this summer. What a beautiful bear!

Photo by Mike Jensen
 Little Cinnamon in mid-August. Interesting how the white patch around his neck has gone away in the past few months.

Photo by Mike Jensen
Photo by Mike Jensen
Waking up from the sleep out in his new home. I think this is why he is licking his lips. The Conservation Officer, Bob, said that when the anaesthetic  effect lessens, the animal "wakes up" from the head down, meaning it will start licking and opening its eyes first, before it moves its limbs.

Photo by Mike Jensen
Most recent picture of the big guy. Looking healthy and ready for a long nap.

Driving to and from my little mountain home is one of my favourite things to do, and even though I don't clock much mileage when I am at home, it sure adds up any time I leave the town bounds; even a trip to the grocery store is an hour-and-a-half away!

Here are some of the pictures I was promising from my drive last weekend. There are also a few from my drive this Friday when a herd of mountain goats decided to cross the road right in front of my car. I am completely amazed by the amount of wildlife I have been seeing; part of the reason I predict that I will be rural-bound for many (probably all) of my future years.


Highway 40, looking towards Lillooet. No guard rails on the sides for most of the way. Many families in the Bridge River Valley have been touched by death out on the roads due to slippery conditions. If you go over the bank here, your chances aren't good. You plunge into an icy river, lake, or are just careened off the cliffside on your way down. Not a road to feel rushed on.


Standing at the edge of the road pictured above, looking over to the Bridge River.


Burned hillside from the 2007 fire laced with the stubble-like remains of trees. One of the best places to pick Chantrelle mushrooms is in a burn after a rain. In the spring it is lush and green as the fireweed blooms fresh and thick in the shadows of the burnt trees.


Icefalls. Amazing! A whole wall of icicles by the side of the road. I am keen to see what it looks like by the end of the winter season. Apparently a great spot for ice climbing once the ice thickens.






Mountain goats!




Sun illuminating a pastel cliff face. I love the colours of the landscape here; a melding of sparse timber, bare sand-coloured cliffs and blue sky.


Sun on the cliffs of the canyon, where the road hugs the river and the cliffs jut out overhead as one drives underneath. My favourite part of the drive.

Well, we are off to catch out connecting flight to London on leg two of the trip to Sri Lanka. I will write more soon. Thank you to everyone who has sent me emails telling me that they are enjoying this blog. I sincerely appreciate the support, and it's because of you I am keeping up with it all :) Feel free to comment after posts as well if you are interested. Happy Sunday all!

No comments:

Post a Comment