Wednesday, March 21, 2012

MEXICO!

A swift breeze blows the curls under my sun hat against my face and strands of hair stick to my sunscreen. I pull them free and tuck the hair that's long enough behind my ears.

I'm in Mexico, and thick ocean waves against shoreline are just beyond the window. Right now I can see them churning up sand with each slap, but I can only hear them when the jackhammer below is passed from one worker to another. I'm here visiting a close friend from Teacher's college, and so far it has been full of relaxing, Jacquie style, with not too many dull moments. You've probably noticed that I don't do well doing nothing.

Jackhammer aside (it's a new edition today, and there are plenty of places to escape, none with reliable internet, so here I shall stay for a few moments) I have been living like a movie star. My friend Tracy lives in this building, complete with infinity pool, surf beach, spa, games room, movie theatre room with fifteen plush white leather chairs for easy viewing, drink holders of course. Pictures wouldn't do it justice, because then you wouldn't get to hear the Mexico--jackhammers, sprinklers, people sweeping and cleaning all over the place at all times of day, guys sprinkling chlorine into the fountain water with bare hands. Ahhh Mexico!

When I arrived off the plane on Saturday afternoon I searched for Tracy's blonde hair and sun-worthy dress in the crowd of onlookers standing outside the gate. After two drive-bys with my rolling suitcase, saying no to a dozen taxi offers, I finally gave up and decided that she was not there. Having changed my flight to a day earlier and an hour earlier, I thought she may have forgotten about the time change. Half an hour later and I am shoving peso coins into the pay phone to call the cell number she has given me. Something in Spanish on the other end. I try again. Spanish, so muffled that I can't even hear enough to repeat the words to the kind lady at the money exchange desk who wrote out the code to dial before the cell phone number.

I need to get changed. I am sweating in my jeans and thick winter socks, all necessary attire with the stopover in Calgary. I do, instantly feeling better, and I make the call again. This time it works, and the voice I know says "Hola."

"Hi Tracy," I say.

"Who is this?"

"It's Jacquie. I'm at the airport."

"Oh! Oh I'm sorry I'm just at my friend's place ten minutes away. I'll be right there!" she says, and I am so relieved that a) she answered, and b) she knew I was coming today and was ready to come get me!

Apparently she forgot about the fact that I would be arriving an hour earlier than my original Sunday flight. Oh well, I am here, and this place is AMAZING, and I'm off to the beach :)


View from the balcony...

2 comments:

  1. awesome, Enjoy your stay! lovely view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an awesome place.Kind of like Bralorne? Well, maybe not. Hope you enjoyed your time, welcome back to God's country of snow and ice. Trust you had a good break, and maybe some good news re the strike. They are talking tough here re teachers, doctors, and other public workers. They become the public whipping boys. Been there, done that.
    Anway , as they say, "Vaja con Dios, and have fun.
    John K

    ReplyDelete