Thursday, July 11, 2013

Departure

As the song goes, "all my bags are packed, I'm ready to go". Though I'm not standing outside of anyone's door waiting to say goodbye. This makes it easy to go! I've got the car packed up with full camping gear and a stove, my guitar, blank notebooks for writing, painting supplies, backpacking supplies, even a hoola hoop, just in case.

This morning I take off up to spend some time in the Cariboo region: Horsefly, Williams Lake, Wells. All places I have heard hold a core of artistic types, places where I've got connections with like-minded folks. There's the Arts on the Fly festival in Horsefly first. I'm volunteering for a friend who runs the kitchen: free festival ticket, free food, good way to meet people. Then I'm a free spirit for a week before meeting a friend in the Yalakom before heading off into the mountains on a three-night backpacking trip. We plan on going to the same area where I was in the wilderness on a three-week Outward Bound course ten years ago. Seems a fitting way to begin my year as a traveler throughout B.C. Some time for reflection and reminiscence in the high alpine meadows. That course was instrumental in putting me back in touch with the natural world in a way I hadn't been in years. I hadn't even known the connection was missing until suddenly there it was, and I knew I could never let it go again.

Well, I'm off. I'll be in touch when I can though I may not be around internet much. I'm back in Vancouver for a quick one-day turnaround on July 29 before heading down the Fraser River again until August 25. Lucky me :)

Happy summer everyone! The next adventure begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment