Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Geometric Valley - The Hike up Truax

A few weekends ago (my gosh how time races) a couple of friends came for a visit with their homegrown veggies and well-mannered dogs for a weekend of exploration in the Bridge River Valley. I've been meaning to write about it since, but have been spending my free time in the evenings doing more hiking, mountain biking, collecting and chopping wood, writing. Our jaunt up Truax was, in hindsight, the last time I would get into the alpine on foot before next hiking season, as the mountaintops are now alight in the fine glow of fresh snow, which I have to say that I was ready for. Bring it on winter--bring on the powder. My skis are ready, and I've got an overly large wood pile stocked for your stay!

We started our hike late in the morning with the intent of summiting Mount Truax, a beautiful beast of a mountain that juts from the landscape along Gun Lake and from the outskirts of Gun Creek Road, although a late start and dimming light sent us back to the vehicle on the cusp of a dark that necessitated headlamp use. Nonetheless it was a beautiful climb, and we were able to find some rocks cracked into intricate geometric shapes, and even a space that I thought would make an amazing place for some kind of high-alpine art show and camp-out. Who knows! I'm sure crazier ideas have become manifested in reality, and I am a huge believer in getting people out into the great outdoors as a way to slow down the destructive actions we are currently waging on our earth with our bottomless consumption habits. Something's gotta change. 

We didn't make it to the top of the mountain this time, but the detour across the valley that we took instead was well worth it to check out some possible winter ski terrain, and to discover the rocks cracked and placed together like puzzle pieces. How cool is nature?! We have been talking a lot about patterns and shapes in math, and I brought in some photos to illustrate how math happens all around us in the natural world. How amazing it all is. And how tragic our indifference.

 Looking into the old mine on the way up. I'm repeatedly amazed at the tons of waste just left on the mountainside from all of the resource extraction and exploration that took place in the last century. It's shocking and depressing that the land is left exposed and scarred, gigantic hunks of metal left to leech and erode. I guess that's what happens when there are so few people living in an area; no one bothers to make much of a fuss...



 The valley of the stones is behind me. Beautiful isn't it :)

 Paul in his red jacket to give you a little bit of perspective. Being in a landscape like this really puts the small worries in your life into some semblance of order. A drop in a bucket we all are, although perhaps we are much more.





 At the helm of a ship.

Phora, Paul, Angel and I at our high point for the day.

1 comment:

  1. nice pics as usual. It is beautiful up there. I recognize some of the country, looks like you got quite a ways past the lake. If you get to the top of Truax ridge, you can see three small lakes, all a different colour, looking towards Gold Bridge. One day you will have to try the hike I did on the my last day, from where you started out , and towards Hawthorne Creek. Amazing. Anna can tell you a bit about it.
    God bless, enjoy the country.

    ReplyDelete