Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Calm


This photo is the calm after the flurry of activity in my life over the weekend. Do you notice anything special about the picture? The view is of Carpenter Lake on the way to Gold Bridge, looking back at the dam on the Bridge River.

Good weather is the time to be social; to get out of town when the roads are good, to get out on a mountain bike, to go for a walk, to be outside with others. This town hibernates when the weather turns and the nights are long and snowy, so a packed weekend in Vancouver and full evenings of outdoor sunlit sport are a necessary buffer to the long working days. I am looking forward to some hibernation though, as I suppose I always am when my summers are full of energetic social happenings. This will certainly be a different year for me in this place. Last year in September I hardly knew anyone, and this year I am a full-fledged member of the community, however quaint it may be.

It feels wonderful to have some roots down in this spot, as winters can become long and lonely for me if they are not balanced out with a summer's worth of visiting and chatting and planning with those around me. Fuel for the times when I am on my own with some solo time to get creative. I suppose I am a woman of extremes, so to speak. A social butterfly in the summers, but the winters, at least during the week, seem to be for me and my own dark and stormy mind.

My students are wonderful, and we have been working on some exciting things to spruce up our classroom and tap into our creative minds. I'll post some of the things that have worked well when I have some time to catch up to myself over this coming weekend.

Oh, and thank you so much for checking in and reading my rambles. I really do appreciate knowing that there are some kindred souls out there who have an interest in reading what I record on here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment