Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The River Awaits

Life in the Bridge River Valley is full of the one thing that fills up my soul and balances out my hectic energies: a direct on-your-doorstep ability to participate in sport in nature. In the few days I have been here I have been fitting it all in, and I even made sure that I left some time to mow the lawn.  On Sunday I had one of those three sport days that the BRV is so famous for; I swam across Tyaughton Lake, went for a kayak, and then went horseback riding, wrapping it all up with a lovely dinner at Ken and Shirley’s, which has become my base for a home-cooked meal away from my parent’s place. They remind me a lot of my parents: welcoming and easy-going. Real work hard, play hard types, an approach to living that I immediately understand.

Yesterday I went for a mountain bike with a friend and then went solo skinny-dipping in Kingdom Lake. I had brought a bathing suit, but when I arrived at an empty forestry campsite there were no social norms impelling me to wear it, so I didn’t. The water was cold, the view of the mountain spectacular. Life is great here. Quiet and calm. It’s like I have a direct line to the mountains, to the natural world, and this bond is what keeps me connected to the core of my being and keeps the fire inside from burning out of control. The city makes me feel frazzled and jittery, the overload of choice, social stimulation and noise pollution just too much for my attention system to pack in.

The view during my swim.

I spent a couple of hours at the school thumbing through Kindergarten teaching resources, as I’ll have two K students in the fall and this will be the youngest age group that I have taught. Thankfully I started to get excited about coming back in the fall, a feeling that has been fleeting up until this weekend. It really does take a month of time off to decompress, and I suppose I am now on to phase two of the summer holidays as a teacher: the ramp up. Slowly things will come to mind about how to structure my days in the coming school year, especially considering the range of ages I will have in the room. I’m going to have to stagger independent activities so that I can be available to do guided activities with the students at each of their developmental levels. Thank goodness I am excited again, and am I ever!

On Thursday I leave on the 6:30 am Greyhound bus from Vancouver, which will take me to the start of the Sustainable Living Leadership Program (SLLP), the headwaters of the Fraser River at Mount Robson in the Rockies. It is a place that I know, as years ago Mike and I spent four nights backpacking along the Berg Lake Trail on our way back from Edmonton, on our second attempt. (Our first attempt was abandoned as I picked up the stomach flu and spewed my guts dry out of the tent we were sleeping in at the very start of the trail. Thankfully this happened before we had set out and not while we were out in the mountains.)

Myself and a group of other keen outdoors folk will travel for twenty-five days down the entire Fraser River by raft, canoe, and a small portion of the way by shuttle van while hiking some of the last remaining old growth forests in the province. We will be sleeping in tents every night, and will also be developing our vision of the sustainable project we hope to implement in our home communities upon our return. The SLLP is a program supported by the Rivershed Society of BC, a non-profit organization that was started by Fin Donnelly after he swam the entire Fraser River not just once, but twice. He will be one of the facilitators on the trip and serves as MP for Coquitlam, Port Moody and New Westminster.

Upon my return I am going to pass along the knowledge I have gained about the Fraser River to the students and to the community. I plan on putting on some slide shows here in Gold Bridge and in North Van, writing first-person accounts on here and in the local newspaper, and passing along my learning to the students at the community school. We are raising fish in our classroom this coming year, which will be another way to connect students with first-hand experience in learning about river ecosystems. There are a number of rivers in town that we can visit as well, giving students an experiential portal to deepen their understandings of the natural environment.

While much of the cost of the program is supported by the Rivershed Society, I am on the hook for $1,350, and as a new teacher still holding some debt I was hoping to do some fundraising. Then Oregon took hold of my heart and a free place to stay and free waves held me hostage longer than I had anticipated. So, this is my last-ditch fundraising effort. If you would like to support me on my quest down the Fraser, please send me a cheque (address below). Any amount helps, and of course you are under absolutely no pressure or obligation. In a sense you are also donating to the school, because the knowledge I gain will be passed along to the students, and to be honest, as it is I tend to spend a lot of my own money on teaching resources that I would like to take with me on the path of my career.

More information on the Rivershed Society and the SLLP can be found by clicking here.

The sustainability project I am hoping to implement upon my return is to start a community garden at the school. During the trip I will come up with a more solid plan for this, but it is a great way to get community involved with students, and growing food is something that is intensely rewarding and is a solid step towards living a more sustainable lifestyle. I’ll post the plan on here when I return.

I won’t have access to a phone or to the internet while I am away, so please accept my advance thanks for the support and I promise to send a personal note upon my return. Be sure to send your return address as well. This also means that I won't be able to post on the blog while I am away, but I will be sure to transcribe some entries from my journal when I'm back in "civilization", if you consider a town of this size to be such a thing. 

My address:

Jacquie Lanthier
General Delivery
Gold Bridge, BC
V0K 1P0

Well, I must get back to packing. The river waits. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good time in Oregon. Been there some time ago, rode my motorcycle down in the late 60s to San Francisco, Awesome ride. Went all the way to Haight and Ashbury. Things were really hopping at that time. Ladies in long print dresses,everybody with a peace message, very idealistic and innocent time. Later, some of them ended up in the Bridge river valley, Illidge and Menhinick can tell you some stories. Many of them were nice people, if a little naive. The good old days?
    Anyway, maybe catch you in late summer for a short time. Maybe can get all you ladies out for ahike. Have an awesome river trip, longest trip I have ever done was the Moose River to Hudsons Bay, that was long enough. Sounds like fun
    Take care, and God bless John K

    ReplyDelete